Saturday, May 12, 2007

I have frog juice under my nails.



That was random.


But on Friday that is just what happened. I had frog juice under my nails.

As a biology student, I was not exactly thrilled about dissecting animals. I couldn't stand the stink. In college, obtaining my Bachelor of Science in Biology, I still tried to avoid the "zoo" classes. Ick.

So when I became a teacher, I didn't really know how I would deal with dissections.
They were still icky.

Over the years, the icky-ness subsided. It is NOTHING now to grab a frog and pull its mouth open until I can cram a pipette down the glottis and squeeze to re-inflate the lungs.

"HE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!"


"Miss, can we really make the frog come back to life?"

"No, you retard. He's dead. D-E-A-D. He's been dead for years. Read the bucket. It says, "1993". That frog ain't gonna breathe."
(I didn't really say that, but I thought it)

*******
One thing I learned years ago, was that my biology teachers did not know how to think out of the box. My specimens all stunk. I had to learn about the innards of animals with the stench of formalin.

So how do I do it differently?



I give all my animals bubble baths in lavender-smelling dish detergent, then give them several rinses. By the time the kids get them, the smell is so faint, they hardly notice.


DUH

*********
Ed sent me a link to a "news" article from "The Onion".
I read it, laughed and then moved on to read the "education" section of The Onion.
I found this article about dissecting frogs, and had to read it since that is what my students are also doing in class.
READ THE ARTICLE HERE:








Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, lucky you! You get to do dissections! We have no time for dissection. Students love it, but they have to take an advanced course (anatomy/physio) to get it.

We are much more concentrated on practicing our content for NCLB testing. Teach the test. It's the best! I try very hard to make class interesting and memorable and interest-sparking, but it is getting very hard to do so. I worry so much about how our students of the NCLB generation will do. I forsee many who are completely turned off to math and science because of the incessent testing and test-taking strageies.

I wish we could go back to teaching kids to love learning. Enticing their curiosity is what I want to do.