Sunday, June 10, 2007

Love.

I have been thinking about love lately.


We all want it.

Some have it and don't know it.

People show love in different ways.

For some, love is sacrificing a great deal of personal freedom or selfish behavior to make a good life for their family. A lot of husbands and fathers fall into this category. Often times, they are so busy that they seem distant. But their hard work and lack of time is the price they pay to keep their family at a certain comfort level. That's love. Sometimes those on the receiving end are too self-centered to see it and give love away like a worn piece of clothing. They got their use from it, and although it is still in good condition, it's not brand new and they don't like it anymore. Maybe someone else will see the treasure in that love.

Sometimes love never begins, but the seed is there and could grow if it was allowed to. There are people who are afraid to love, to be loved. Perhaps they have been hurt badly before and are love-shy. Or maybe they would rather take the easy road and not bother. Or maybe they only have room to love their child and no one else.... they take the safe route.

Then there are those incapable of love. They unknowingly want and need it the most of all. But they are ignorant to it. Never seen it. Don't know what it looks like. When they have it, they reject it... maybe even hate it.

I have seen all of these loves in the past.

There is something in between though. A love that isn't hindered, a love that is unselfish, a love that is available and forgiving. Unquestioning, trusting, unfailing. Not as good as God's love, but the second best thing for Earth-bound creatures.

I have that now in the present.

**********************
When I was a girl I loved name etymology. I used to look at name meanings in our family Bible. There was a whole section of Christian names and their meanings.

Edward means "guardian", Edmund means "protector" and Edgar means "defender".

This is why, as a child, I named my guardian angel "Ed". I felt it was fitting.

So many times my angel Ed has rescued me. So many times! Once I called out to him and he protected not just me but my friend Robbin. She knows Ed too now.

So it is really no surprise that my boyfriend is "Ed" too.

He is my guardian, protector and defender as well. Sometimes I wonder if "Angel Ed" is a bit jealous of human Ed. When I call for "Ed" now it is usually not the angel I am summoning.

Some people would say that human Ed is my angel. I don't think he is. But I am not convinced that the similarities in names, can't be a sign from God that finally, at last, I have found the right one.




No comments: