Saturday, June 2, 2007

I love my Hyundai!



I bought a Hyundai Elantra GT 4-door sedan in July of 2004.
When I went to the Southwest Hyundai in Albuquerque, I went on the recommendation of my now ex-husband. The warranty is what made us walk onto that lot.

I didn't know what kind of car I wanted, but I had certain non-negotiables.
1) it had to have four doors
2) it needed to have good fuel economy
3) it needed fairly beefy looking tires (we lived on a rock road)
4) it needed to be affordable (I am genetically cheap)

The salesman walked me over to the Elantras. I didn't like the looks of them; they looked too "economy car" if you know what I mean. Icky.

But then I saw my next car. A few rows over in the front of the dealership, sat a silver Elantra GT.

It was gorgeous. It was a lighter shade of silver that I liked, (my other car which had just died was a dark silver--- not a pretty).

This Elantra GT was loaded with all the amenities that the Elantra could have, with the exception of the CD changer. It had a sunroof, all leather interior, Kenwood 6-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 player, fold down seats, fog lamps, purple illuminated gauges, and an air conditioner that BLASTS! Mine is an automatic - not the 5-speed that is pictured here:

It has plenty of power, more than any other 4-cylinder economy car that I have ever driven.

Now, three years later, I am still in love with this car. I have never had the thought, "damn, I wish this car had this, or that." It has everything I need.


I rented a car after this drunk asshole rear-ended me earlier this year. I had that rental for a month. I HATED IT! It was a Chevy Cobalt and there wasn't ONE DAY that month that I didn't cuss that car for something... and it had no power and it's fuel economy sucked. Yuck. Don't get that car.

My Elantra GT may be three years old, but last month, before I really needed to use the air conditioner, I was driving down Central Expressway and I hit the handy dandy fuel computer button on my dash. I saw that it read 39.7 MPG. WOW.
Three years old and still getting 40 MPG highway. With the air conditioner and in-town driving and it gets around 30 MPG on a typical day.

The trip and fuel computer is awesome! I can't imagine driving a car without one now. When I fill up the tank it tells me how many miles I have left to drive before it is empty- computed from the average fuel use. Yesterday when I filled up it said "425 miles" remained. Daaaayum!

You wouldn't think that in a small car like the Elantra, that you would have any need for a remote control to operate the stereo. But the other day with two teen aged girls in the backseat, it was nice being able to toss them the remote so they could go nuts with the CD player without leaning over to the front or whining for me to turn a knob!








No comments: